Video from Coalition for Public Schools legislative symposium
Date Posted: 1/14/2015 | Author: Monty Exter
The Coalition for Public Schools (CPS) represents over 30 education, religious, and child advocacy organizations, including the Association of Texas Professional Educators (ATPE). Founded in 1995, CPS advocates for the support of public neighborhood schools while opposing privatization through vouchers and other means. CPS held a pre-session legislative symposium on Dec. 2, 2014, at the Texas Capitol. The event featured panels of national education researchers and key state advocates discussing the topic of privatization. The event was open to members of the media, legislators and their staffs, education advocates, and the public. Video of the entire event can be viewed in sections using the links below:
- First panel: Dr. Kevin Welner, Director of the National Education Policy Center; Dr. Julie Fisher Mead, Department of Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis, University of Wisconsin – Madison; and Dr. Luis Huerta, Teachers College, Columbia University
- Second panel: Dr. David Anthony, Raise Your Hand Texas; Leslie Boggs, President, Texas PTA; and Gina Hinojosa, School Board Trustee, Austin ISD
- Allen Weeks, Save Texas Schools
- John Kuhn, Superintendent, Perrin-Whitt ISD
- Steven Aleman, Disability Rights Texas
- Dr. Charles Luke, CPS Coordinator, speaking on behalf of Rev. Charles Foster Johnson, Pastors for Texas Children
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
School Finance, Educator Preparation | Certification, Retirement | TRS | Social Security, Texas Legislature, Curriculum | Instruction, Privatization | Vouchers, School Safety, Educator Compensation | Benefits
Teach the Vote’s Week in Review: March 24, 2023
ATPE testifies against vouchers at marathon Senate Education Committee hearing, plus House committees hear bills on student restraint, curriculum issues, pre-k certification, and more.
Senate receives overwhelming opposition to vouchers
The Texas Senate Education Committee heard overwhelming opposition to school vouchers in a marathon hearing Wednesday, March 23.
Educator Preparation | Certification, Texas Legislature, Curriculum | Instruction, Privatization | Vouchers, School Safety, Testing | Accountability
House Public Education Committee considers bills on curriculum, library review
The pace at the Capitol noticeably increased this week, including in the House Public Education Committee where ATPE testified on several bills.