Details on Saturday's Senate District 18 special election
Date Posted: 12/04/2014 | Author: Jennifer Mitchell, CAE
Do you live in Texas Senate District (SD) 18? It covers areas to the west and southwest of Houston, including Katy, Sealy, Victoria, El Campo, Brenham, Giddings, Hemptstead, Richmond, and Simonton. If you live in SD 18, be sure to get out and vote in this Saturday's special election. The Dec. 6 special election will determine who will serve out the remainder of Sen. Glenn Hegar's current term. Hegar was recently elected to statewide office as Texas comptroller and is therefore resigning his Senate seat. Vying for Hegar's seat in Saturday's election are five candidates. Click the links on their names below to view their candidate profiles.
- Charles Gregory, III, who previously served as mayor pro tempore of Simonton
- Gary Gates, a real estate investor who previously ran for the same Senate seat
- Lois Kolkhorst, who currently serves as state representative for House District 13
- Christian E. Hawkins, a businesswoman from Rosenberg who recently became an attorney
- Cynthia Drabek, a business owner and chair of the Richmond Historical Commission
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
A voucher is bad for public school students
A week of pro-voucher public relations doesn’t change the facts.
School Finance, Retirement | TRS | Social Security, Texas Legislature, Curriculum | Instruction, TEA | Commissioner | SBOE, Privatization | Vouchers, School Safety, Educator Compensation | Benefits, Testing | Accountability
Teach the Vote’s Week in Review: March 17, 2023
The ATPE lobby team looks back at another busy legislative week and previews next week's big committee hearings on private school vouchers, TRS, teacher pay, and more.
House Public Education Committee holds first votes of 88th session
The committee met Tuesday, March 14, to consider bills on issues ranging from health screenings to assessment of special needs students.