Happy Educator Voting Day!
Date Posted: 10/19/2020
It’s been a wild election season—and a wild year in general. Today, October 19, marks Educator Voting Day in Texas. Whether you will vote today, on another day during early voting, or on Election Day, make sure you have a plan to vote!
Voting is the single most important way to ensure Texas will have pro-public education officeholders working in the best interest of you and your students. We at ATPE like to recognize Educator Voting Day along with our partners at Texas Educators Vote.
To mark the importance of today, we’re reupping important election information and our voter resources list. It’s never been more vital to make a voting plan and stick to it!
- Early voting for the general election continues through Friday, October 30; dates and hours may vary based on your location.
- Find important dates, your voter registration status, polling locations, and more on the Texas Secretary of State’s My Voter Page, or contact your county clerk.
- For more information about the election, including sample ballots and what you need to bring with you to the polls, visit votetexas.gov.
- Learn more about each candidate on ATPE’s Teach the Vote, which includes candidates’ answers to the ATPE Candidate Survey (when available) and legislators’ voting records.
- Need help finding information about the candidates on Teach the Vote? Watch our instructional video narrated by ATPE Senior Lobbyist Monty Exter.
- Find out what health protocols are in place to protect voters at polling locations here.
- Do you have questions about voting by mail? Check out the “So, You’re Thinking about Voting by Mail” article on Teach the Vote.
- Visit TexasEducatorsVote.com for election resources, advice, and voting reminders.
- Use vote411.org to build a personalized ballot that you can print out and take with you to the polls. (You’re not permitted to use your cell phone while voting.)
- Read one ATPE lobbyist’s experience with early voting in the general election.
Be safe, and go vote!
This content was originally posted on the ATPE blog here.
RECOMMENDED FOR YOU
Educator Preparation | Certification, Retirement | TRS | Social Security, Texas Legislature, Congress | Federal, Elections, Curriculum | Instruction
The ATPE Governmental Relations team recaps the past week’s education news, legislative and election updates, and regulatory developments.
Educator Preparation | Certification, Texas Legislature, Curriculum | Instruction, Educator Compensation | Benefits
Texas House committees hear hours of testimony on educator recruitment, preparation, and retention ahead of the 2023 legislative session
ATPE shared educator preparation recommendations during invited testimony before the House Committees on Public Education and Higher Education, Sept. 20, 2022.
Retirement | TRS | Social Security, Congress | Federal, Educator Compensation | Benefits
Despite advancing the Ways and Means Committee Sept. 20, 2022, the WEP/GPO repeal legislation faces many hurdles, including a less supportive Senate.